Friday, January 1, 2016

Mernanny

First, let me start off by thanking SKAD, for giving me the opportunity I had this summer. Also Stella, the creator of SKAD with an incredible heart for these teens. And my teammates this summer... Arthur, who was steadfast and a dreamer. Avery, compassionate and quirky. And Blake, the ever so funny and passionate. 

LOL

I never got to post an update when I got home this summer because my computer crashed and my creative writing capabilities come in waves. Short, tiny waves, frog jumping into a puddle kinda waves. Fortunately that frog has jumped today! So I've realized its hard for me to put into words how this summer was for me, hot, fun, hard, spiritual, overwhelming, rewarding, frustrating, humbling, etc. It was both good and bad things that enabled me to grow a lot. We were able to reach a couple thousand teens that were struggling with suicide, depression, anxiety, abuse of all kinds and much more. I am honored and blessed I was able to be there and to bring even just one persons darkness to light. None of it would of been possible without the support of my family and friends!

Now you may be wondering, Okay, what are you doing now? Well let me start by saying when I got home from Warped Tour I knew that I needed to be home for a year, until at least summer of next year. And while I am fairly certain the direction I'll be going in next summer, I'll be keeping the details to a minimum until it's for sure. But I do know it's going to be hard and necessary in my walk and relationship with Christ.
 Because I know that God has a testing time ahead for me, I knew the months until then were/are going to be a calm before the storm. A time of waiting, praying and learning to be content with where God has me. A season to "Be Still." Being still isn't something I'm good at, I've learned to completely trust God without boarders when I have nothing but a backpack. To follow his path with nothing but blind faith, so much so that it's second nature. But being still is where i'm REALLY uncomfortable. Being still is where I experience my doubt and distance myself from my Heavenly Dad. It's where depression so easily strikes and where I am weak. Little had I realized the last couple years (since I've come back from my DTS) has all been a time for me to experience stillness. But I never grew from it because I was fighting it so much. The 12 months since I have come back from Warped Tour and until next summer has been and will be when I  hunker down and let "being still" also become second nature.


But it was also going to be a time for me take care of some financial debt. I didn't really know what kind of job I could get that didn't stress me out in this time of stillness until I met the precious Williams family..


This family is my family now and I'm constantly blessed by their generosity and welcoming hearts. They were in need of a nanny and I was in need of a job and it has been perfect ever since. I love and adore them SO MUCH and it's probably the best job I've ever had! They make me laugh everyday and their house is so filled with joy, love and the Holy Spirit. So not only do I love my job, but I'm officially able to pay off every bit of debt that I owe. I'm starting 2016 completely debt free! Giving me more freedom to travel for missions and the ability to start saving for what's next. I've waited for this moment for a long time, so PRAISE GOD!

While my calling to world missions is constantly tugging at my heart strings, I'm just as passionate about missions at home while I'm here. That brings me to Phoenix Heart! My dear friend Brittany is the founder and President and I'm the VP. With a heart for the sex trafficking problem in our community, we started by doing a couple prayer walks in north Tyler around a few motels. 
Our first prayer walk and the beginning of PH
It soon escalated to a desire to do more. We came up with a missions statement, "Our mission at Phoenix Heart is to share the love of Christ through our community. Our goals are to raise awareness for human trafficking, street ministry and rescue to provide a safe place for these girls to lay their head. We are called to be the hands and feet of Jesus and to set captives free. We want to give them an opportunity to see what Christ-like love is and for them to rise from the ashes to see what they deserve being a Daughter of the King." Britt has a dream for Phoenix Heart to one day be a retreat type camp for girls and women getting out of sex trafficking. A place for them to experience campfires and kayaking and group counseling and all the love and unity camp usually offers. But that may be a year from now or 20, so we've decided to focus on what we can do until then. Like outreaches, awareness and working with other like minded local ministries. We're just getting our feet wet in the non-profit world but we have big plans! January we will be in the starting process of making an East Texas sex trafficking awareness video, starting monthly bus stop outreach and plan to start working with a few local ministries. All the while figuring out the process of creating a board, getting our 501c3, etc. I'm so excited to see PH grow from far away when I'm gone and help from up close when I'm home!

So that is what I have been up to since this summer and what I will be up to until next summer! I'll be posting another update when plans for next summer are verified to tell everyone what I'm doing!

Blessings - Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment